Phone Support

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Lifeline & Disability Discounts?

You may qualify for Lifeline Discounts on your telephone or broadband service if you or someone residing in your household participates in one of the following programs:

• MO HealthNet (f/k/a Medicaid)
• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (Food Stamps)
• Supplemental Security Income
• Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
• Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
• 135% of the Federal Poverty Level

You may qualify for Disability Discounts on your telephone service if you or someone residing in your household is blind or disabled and receiving benefits from one of the following programs:

• Veteran Administration Disability Benefits
• State Blind Pension
• State Aid to Blind Persons
• State Supplemental Disability Assistance
• Federal Social Security Disability

The Low-Income program offers discounts of up to $15.75 per month depending on your local phone company. 

The Disabled program is limited to a $6.50 monthly discount.

Do you have any disability assistance services?

CLICK HERE to learn about services for customers with disabilities.

What do I need to do before I start digging in my yard?

Always call or visit the Missouri One Call System website before you start digging.  It’s easy.  It’s Free. And it’s the Law!